Sunday, May 14, 2017

Oh Scrap! : Covered In Love Blocks

Happy Mother's Day!

Lots of beautiful blocks are starting to arrive for me to make into quilts for Kat's Covered In Love quilt block drive for May/June.  It has been so fun to see the bright fabrics other quilters have in their scrap bin.

It takes 35 blocks to make a quilt top so when I reached receiving that many by Saturday, I quickly tossed them up on one of my design walls.




I love how the little white strips on the sides make instant sashing!
No rhyme or reason to placement here.  I just wanted to see what I had and count the blocks of each color.




A quick shuffle in placement and I had a diagonal color placement layout all ready to sew up into a quilt top.  I might make a yellow block to replace that bottom right orange block and use that orange one to start the next quilt.  I am sure I have some yellow scraps somewhere!




 Are you curious where these blocks came from?  I decided to test my US geography skills and color in the states I receive blocks from.... This exercise quickly identified I need to go back to grade school!  Thank goodness for Google  :)

 I know more blocks should be headed my way so there will be more block layouts to share.  If you want to contribute, you can read more about the organization and making the blocks here.

Thanks so much!

******************************************


It is now your turn to share what you are making with scraps.  Here are the details for linking up:
  • This linky party is for any scrappy project - It can be in-process or a finished piece.
  • You can link up your blog post (not your homepage please) or Instagram photo from the past week that features your use of scraps.
  • If you are linking to a blog post, I ask that you link back to my blog somewhere in your post. So if you are writing about scraps, just get into the habit of including a link as there will be a linky party available every week!
  • If you are using Instagram, please use the hashtag #ohscrap.
  • This is a party so remember to socialize and comment on the posts of others.
  • Following my blog is not necessary but it sure would be great if you do!
Quilting is more fun than Housework

So if you love scrappy projects, feel free to grab my button for your sidebar or posts and get ready to share all your wonderful projects from scraps.  And if you have a great idea for using scraps and would like to be featured, feel free to contact me!






12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are pretty! I was just thinking it was time for me to make some blocks this coming week, so I'll get on that. Then you'll be able to color in Colorado! :)

Barb Neiwert said...

Yes, you're right - there needs to be another yellow at the bottom of the row. That's great you have so many blocks! Very pretty!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that sure is a bright quilt. Love it

Jayne said...

Bright and its going to be perfect! I can't wait to see the quilts and your map at the end!!

Havplenty said...

Cynthia where is the tutorial for the blocks? I may have glossed over it. I basically just need to know what width the white strips are. They look to be an inch. The block should measure 10.5" unfinished correct? I will get some in the mail to you.

Please forward the mailing address to tushay3 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Mary

Kat said...

35 already! It looks great! Thank you :)

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

This is so exciting to see our blocks coming together and how diligent you are in wasting no time! I love how they all look and it does seem like a quick piecing after your fabulous tutorial.

Ivani said...

Bright and beautiful arrangement for the first 35 blocks.

Louise said...

I've got a yellow block to send you to substitute into that bottom corner! And at least one of each of the other colors, too. You'll be able to add Florida to your list then :)

Vicki in MN said...

The blocks are looking fantastic! I really wanted to help but some unexpected daycare is happening over here. Good thing I have a few things saved up to blog about, LOL

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Ha! If you don't have any yellow scraps I'll be more than happy to send some to you...lol. Using the map to highlight where you receive blocks from is a super cute idea. It will be fun to see how much color your map will have at the end.

Susan said...

Love the diagonal layout - it's going to be a great quilt!

01 09 10